Friday, November 3, 2017

Fashionable Outcast


 Photo: Hillary McCormack // Model, Clothing, Accessories: Lunar Offerings


Fashion is my art form. It is totally okay that not everyone gets what I am doing.  I treat runway shows like a curated gallery of my work. Not everyone is going to understand my references or inspirations. Selling stuff I make has always been like an extra bonus at the end, especially while I wasn't treating fashion design like its a job.

Building a niche brand, by myself, with no real dedicated finances or experience building a fashion brand in the past, makes for a really slow climb. It's hard, and lonely in a way, especially when a lot of your peers in the industry don't seem to get what you are doing, making it feel even more like I am off in my own little world. I feel like the people in the background of my life are just humoring me, or just not taking me seriously. And I am sure most of that is in my head but either way it's stressful.
I have a vision though, and its crystal clear, whether its visible to others just yet or not.

I know its not easy for anyone out there who has built or is building a fashion brand, but some people definitely make it seem easier than others, making it easy to get insecure and compare myself. You have to remind yourself a lot that there is no real deadline, it isn't a race and you can go your own speed. I second guess every decision, probably because the final decision is mine to make, and its easy to get caught up in the little stuff. (like the way people see my logo, har har)

As slow as the climb can be though, I am happy with my progress and I think within the next year I am finally going to have it all the way I want!

Kayleigh 
















No comments:

Post a Comment